Friday, May 18, 2012

Pentecost Novena

Ascension Thursday was yesterday, but it is not too late to start your novena to the Holy Spirit!  This is the oldest novena, stemming from Scripture, when on the day of his Ascension, Jesus told the apostles to wait for the coming of the Holy Ghost:

And eating together with them, he commanded them, that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but should wait for the promise of the Father, which you have heard (saith he) by my mouth. [5] For John indeed baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost, not many days hence.
There is a printable (PDF) novena to the Holy Ghost here.   This one is to ask for the seven gifts.  We said it as a family a few years back (in 2005) just before four of my children were confirmed.   When I think of the graces that came from that time I would really like to pray it again. 

A shorter one is here.




If you want to read a description of the difference between the gifts of knowledge, wisdom and understanding, and see a black and white picture that you could print out for your children, go to the excellent blog of Msr Charles Pope.

If you want to read in depth about the Seven Gifts, here is Reginald Garrigou Lagrange, OP

I found a sweet Mother's Prayer to the Holy Ghost in a public domain book called The Christian Mother

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you posted these prayers, Willa. I'm a bit late at starting but I feel inspired and encouraged to pray the novena that you've shared - thank you.

    God bless:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad, Vicky! Chari and I always seem to pray better when we know we have others praying along with us!

      Delete

We love hearing from our readers. Please share your thoughts or just say hello!